Monday, June 13, 2016

The Tragic Events in Orlando

I am sad, fearful, and angry about the shooting that happened in Orlando over the weekend. I'm sad, because people who are just like you and me were murdered by a monster. They are just like you and me, because they’re human beings. Even if they don’t share the same religion, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, etc. This wasn’t just an attack on the LGBT community in Orlando, it was an attack on humanity.

I am not afraid to go to the local gay bar this weekend. I am not afraid to stand up and say that I am gay, although I used to be. As far as what that monster intended to do, I refuse to let terrorism reign.

I'm not afraid of a similar attack happening anytime soon, but what frightens me is how an event like this can be so divisive. Let’s not make it about politics, let’s make it about caring about our fellow humans. Society says it’s not okay for people to love the same gender, and that is a big problem. This is 2016, and it’s time to move forward.

I don’t blame society for this incident, but I blame society for what happens every day to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or otherwise. Does seeing two guys or two girls kissing in public offend you? You're part of the problem. Homophobia continues in this world, because people refuse to accept the fact that not everyone in this world is "straight." Sometimes that fear can come from a lack of understanding. If you're unsure about it, I am more than happy to discuss it and explain it to you until you run out of questions. Homophobia comes from ignorance, which isn’t a bad thing, but the remedy to ignorance is knowledge. Those who refuse to pursue knowledge are, frankly, not worth my time.

I also don't blame myself for this incident, but I feel like I've been lurking in the shadows since I first figured out I was gay when I reached adolescence. I should have stood up for myself long ago, but I was too scared of what other people would think of me and too scared of losing my closest friends and family members. I did announce that I was gay following the Supreme Court decision that legalized same-sex marriage, but many people in my life still do not know. At this point in my life, I can't afford to be afraid anymore.

These events have been a wake-up call for me. I need to take pride in my sexual orientation, even if it's not my primary identity. There's so much more to me than my sexual orientation, but I still think it's important that people either accept that part of me or move on.

I'm just getting started... stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has friends and family that are gay/lesbian and the fact I'm an athiest... I've never been able to really understand why people have so much hate for fellow human beings. I think what happened in Orlando is just horrible and so is the abuse people deal with in every day life, just because of who they love? Doesn't make any sense to me. I look forward to reading more blogs from you, I think this is fantastic!
    -Misty

    ReplyDelete