Sunday, June 19, 2016

Born This Way?

One of the biggest debates about homosexuality is whether it is a trait a person has when they are born or if it's something that a person chooses later in life. It's similar to the "nature vs nurture" debate, which discusses whether or not a specific behavior or trait is there when a person is born or if it develops with their experience and environment. This is a topic that I'll attempt to tackle using my personal experiences and knowledge on the topic.

Much research has been done on both sides of the issues, and I encourage everyone to read BOTH sides to fully understand the arguments. This blog is meant to tell my perspective, based on what I've experienced throughout my life. I should note that I'm only addressing homosexuality, as I cannot speak to the experiences of other sexual orientations.

I'd like to address the whole notion of whether it's a choice to be homosexual. Based on my experiences, the answer is more complicated than "yes" or "no," because the argument that exists today is ridiculous. The primary argument is whether people choose to be homosexual. That is, they choose to be attracted to the same gender rather than the opposite gender. I can tell you that is not the case. I will tell many stories and offer explanations as to why I would not choose to be homosexual, and that I was born attracted to males.

I've had the conversation about innate versus learned traits many times. Based on my personal experiences, homosexuality is an innate trait. Nobody would choose to be part of society that is ridiculed, oppressed, insulted, discriminated against, and generally thought of as "sinful." Nobody can "choose" to be gay just like they can't "choose" to be straight (as I discovered). Nobody controls what they think is attractive in a person. Nobody sits down one day and decides "Hey, I wanna be gay!"

I plan to go into more detail on these arguments, but I think it would be best to break them up into individual topics. This is my overall argument, and each individual point will be a separate post. Please feel free to contact me publicly or privately with questions, and I will do my best to answer them.



No comments:

Post a Comment